fall

I am...

My photo
Orem, Utah, United States
I am a lover of my husband, adorable children, and last but not least food. I first started baking when I was just a little girl. My mom always had an amazing home-cooked meal on the table and she always encouraged me to help. Much of what I know has come from watching her in the kitchen. I used to love to pretend I owned a restaurant and cook things up for my siblings and their friends. Not much has changed :) Now my sweet husband and kids get to be my taste testers. I love exploring new ingredients and am always looking for the best of the best when it comes to recipes. I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do. Through this blog I will share just a few of my favorite things- my passion for child development, my wonderful family, and my love for food :) Happy blogging!

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mom's Chicken Pockets

This is a recipe I grew up with. I love these because not only are they a great warm comfort food, but they freeze great and can be heated up whenever (hot pocket style :). My mom's dough recipe is listed below, but I also use my SWEET DINNER ROLLS dough and it works great. Hope your family enjoys these as much as I always have :)

For the dough:
3 Tbs yeast
1 Tbs sugar
3/4 cup warm water
1 qt hot water
1 cube butter
1 Tbs salt
1 cup sugar
6-7 cups flour

In a bowl combine 3 Tbs yeast, 1 Tbs sugar and 3/4 warm water and let the yeast froth for about 5-10 minutes.
In a mixer combine 1 qt hot water with the butter, salt, 1 cup sugar and 2 cups flour. Add the yeast mixture and slowly add in the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time until the dough is easy to work with. (its okay if its a little sticky) Butter a bowl and place the dough in there to rise for about an hour.

For the filling:
8 chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
2 8oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup chopped onion (I do green onions)
salt and pepper to taste
*I also like to add sliced black olives.

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.

Once the dough has risen, roll out in to a large rectangle. Use a pizza cutter and cut about 3-4 inch squares and place the chicken mixture into the center of each one and wrap the dough around it and pinch at the bottom.  Place the seam side down on a greased cookie sheet. (At this point, I usually like to let my dough rise again. My mom does not.) Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.


For the gravy:

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk

In a small saucepan combine all the ingredients and warm through. Serve over hot rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment