fall

I am...

My photo
Orem, Utah, United States
I am a lover of my husband, adorable children, and last but not least food. I first started baking when I was just a little girl. My mom always had an amazing home-cooked meal on the table and she always encouraged me to help. Much of what I know has come from watching her in the kitchen. I used to love to pretend I owned a restaurant and cook things up for my siblings and their friends. Not much has changed :) Now my sweet husband and kids get to be my taste testers. I love exploring new ingredients and am always looking for the best of the best when it comes to recipes. I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do. Through this blog I will share just a few of my favorite things- my passion for child development, my wonderful family, and my love for food :) Happy blogging!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cinco de Mayo!

El Cinco de Mayo is fast-approaching! Here are some of my favorite Mexican dishes. I will admit that I pretty much just usually use this holiday as an excuse to make a delicious mexican feast! Enjoy!

Let's start with the basics....No mexican meal could be complete without a good salsa, pico de gallo, or that fattening and delicious guacamole. Here some I've tried and loved....

Guacamole

This recipe serves 4, so if you're havin' a party, ya better ATLEAST double it up :)

Ingredients

3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup diced onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)

Directions

1.In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.

Seven Layer Dip

This is the family favorite recipe. I'm not quite sure it's actually seven layers... but we can pretend!

Ingredients

2 (16 ounce) cans refried beans
4 avocados (somewhat soft)
2 pkg. guacamole mix
1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
1 large tomato, chopped
1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1.Spread the beans into a 9x13" pan. Make your own homemade quacamole or make guacamole using the 4 avocados and 2 guacamole mixes. Spread over the refried beans.In a medium bowl, blend the taco seasoning mix and sour cream.
2. Spead the sour cream mixture on top of the guacamole.
3.Top the layers with tomatoes, olives and cheese.Refrigerate and enjoy!

Salsa

My husband and I tried this out for the first time about a month ago. I LOVED it and so did everyone else that scarfed it down! I went home with nothing left! I used my blender rather than a food processor and it worked just fine.

Ingredients

2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes(drained)
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canned sliced green chiles, or to taste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

1.Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, green chiles, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Blend on low to desired consistency.

Pico de Gallo

Most of the time I would be completely content with this, and only this, and a bag of chips. YUM!

Ingredients

1 medium tomato, diced
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 sprigs fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 green onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1.In a medium bowl, combine tomato, onion, jalapeno pepper (to taste,) cilantro and green onion. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir until evenly distributed. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Black Bean Enchiladas
submitted by Brittany from www.www.thesisterscafe.com

I made these for us about 2 months ago. I loved them! They were a good change from my regular chicken enchiladas. Enjoy!

Flour tortillas
shredded Colby Jack cheese

Sauce:
1 cup sour cream
1 can (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup shredded cheese (or more if desired…which I usually do!)
juice from canned tomatoes and chilies

Mix in separate bowl:
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes and chilies, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed

Spread a spoonful of sauce onto a flour tortilla. Top with chicken mixture and another spoonful or two of sauce. Roll up and line in 9×13 inch baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with cooking oil spray. Top enchiladas with rest of sauce and desired amount of cheese (I use about 1 1/2 cups). Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment