fall

I am...

My photo
Orem, Utah, United States
I am a lover of my husband, adorable children, and last but not least food. I first started baking when I was just a little girl. My mom always had an amazing home-cooked meal on the table and she always encouraged me to help. Much of what I know has come from watching her in the kitchen. I used to love to pretend I owned a restaurant and cook things up for my siblings and their friends. Not much has changed :) Now my sweet husband and kids get to be my taste testers. I love exploring new ingredients and am always looking for the best of the best when it comes to recipes. I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do. Through this blog I will share just a few of my favorite things- my passion for child development, my wonderful family, and my love for food :) Happy blogging!

Search This Blog

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Granny Kat's Pumpkin Roll Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Granny Kat's Pumpkin Roll Recipe - Allrecipes.com:

Ingredients

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs, and lemon juice. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread the mixture evenly.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
Lay a damp linen towel on the counter, sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar, and turn the cake onto the towel. Carefully roll the towel up (lengthwise) with the cake in it. Place the cake-in-towel on a cooling rack and let it cool for 20 minutes.
Make the icing: In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer.
When the cake has cooled 20 minutes, unroll it and spread icing onto it. Immediately re-roll (not in the towel this time), and wrap it with plastic wrap. Keep the cake refrigerated or freeze it for up to 2 weeks in aluminum foil. Cut the cake in slices just before serving.

-I made this for the first time this year. I wrapped it in foil and stuck it in the freezer. The only change I made was my mom's suggestions for the spices. I omitted the pumpkin pie spice and added 1 tsp. ginger 2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. I also sprinkled a cup of chopped pecans on top of the batter before baking. I wrapped the cake up in waxed paper rather than the damp towel. I let it cool 1 hr. before frosting. In my oven I baked it at 350 instead of 375. You may need to adjust to your oven. Don't overbake it or it will be tough to work with. Be sure to roll the cake so that it is longer rather than shorter or else you will have ONE FAT ROLL! I made this mistake. Hey the fatter the better when it comes to dessert right?! Enjoy. My mom used to make this every year and it sure is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment